NO. 131 WHISKEYTOWN - Settled by gold miners in 1849, the town was first called Whiskey Creek for the stream on which it was located, but later the name was changed to Whiskeytown. A barrel of whiskey lost off a pack mule christened the stream with the popular drink of that day. The town is inundated by Whiskeytown Reservoir.
1/4 mi. east of Intersection of Whiskey Creek Rd and State Hwy 299, 11.3 mi W of Redding on Hwy 299