NO. 135 MISSION SAN CARLOS BORROMÉO DE CARMELO - Mission San Carlos was established by Father Serra on June 3, 1770 at the Presidio of Monterey. Finding this location unsuitable, Serra moved the mission to Carmel Valley. In July 1771 he set to work constructing temporary buildings at the new site, and in December 1771 the mission was moved to its permanent location.
SW corner of Lasuen Dr and Rio Rd, Carmel
1. This is the final resting place of Fr. Juan Crespi and Saint Junipero Serra. They were interned at the foot of the altar. ~~~~~ 2. Both Sebastian Vizcaino (1602) and Saint Junípero Serra (1770) celebrated mass underneath a giant oak tree at MontereyBay. "A small monument to Father Serra marks the approximate place where the oak stood. Due to changes in the landscape (largely human-made), the location is much further from the water than it was in the days of the early explorers." A portion of the giant oak is on display at Mission San Carlos.