NO. 166 FRENCH GULCH - Founded nearby by French miners in 1849, the town of Morrowville, relocated here, was the center of one of the state's richest gold producing areas. Total production was over $20,000,000. One of California's first stamp mills operated at the nearby Franklin Mine. From 1856 to 1858 French Gulch was the trailhead on the western branch of the California-Oregon Trail. St. Rose Catholic Church was founded in 1856. As a supply and stopping place, the town rivaled Shasta.
Trinity Mountain Road at French Gulch Road---or--- 3 mi E of Hwy 299 (P.M. 8.6) on Trinity Hill Rd, French Gulch
NO. 166 FRENCH GULCH - State Plaque