Previous Next

CHL No. 182 Tumco Mines - Imperial


NO. 182 TUMCO MINES - Pete Walters of Ogilby discovered the first gold vein at Gold Rock on January 6, 1884. From his Little Mary Claim began a gold camp which reached its peak development between 1893 and 1899 as Hedges, with 3,200 residents. Nearly closed, 1900-10, it was reopened as Tumco, 1910-13, and worked intermittently until 1941. Tumco has long been a California ghost town.


STATE PLAQUE: Parking lot of Gold Rock Ranch RV Resort (2401 Gold Rock Rd, Winterhaven, CA 92283). ---------------------------- SITE: Trailhead on Gold Rock Ranch Rd, just east of S34 (Ogilby Road). Trail is about 1.0 mi to remains of townsite. SEE MAP IN THE PICTURES BELOW.
Open Map


STATE PLAQUE: 32°52'54.5"N 114°51'44.0"W --------------------------------- MINE SITE: 32°52'42.4"N 114°48'57.0"W

NO. 182 TUMCO MINES - Marker located in Gold Rock Ranch RV Park