NO. 198 OLD LANDING - On September 10, 1870, Captain Samuel S. Dunnells and William A. Abbott opened Newport Bay to commerce when they entered it for the first time on the sternwheel steamer Vaquero. The landing was designated 'Newport'-a new port-by James Irvine, Benjamin Flint, James McFadden, and Robert McFadden. The McFaddens operated a regular shipping service here during the 1870s and 1880s.
On Dover Dr 500 ft N of State Hwy 1, Newport Beach
The state plaque is missing. A private plaque can be found at near by "Castaway Park". GPS=33.6185527777778,-117.906075 See map below.
NO. 198 OLD LANDING - Site of the Missing Plaque