NO. 200 MISSION SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO - Founded in 1776 by Padre Junípero Serra, this is the seventh in the chain of 21 missions established in Alta California to christianize and civilize the Indians. The stone church was destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule, the mission was returned to the Catholic church in 1865 by proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln.
NW corner of Ortega Hwy and Camino Capistrano
The State Plaque was removed during a recent remodel. It is currently being stored in the archives. The docent expects it to return later in 2016.