NO. 281 O'BYRNE FERRY - In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late '49 there was a large camp here, with miners washing gold out on both banks of the Stanislaus River.
7242 O'Byrnes Ferry Road at Stanislaus River Bridge
The missing state plaque has been replaced with a granite plaque.
NO. 281 O'BYRNE FERRY - Marker