NO. 29 VOLCANO - The spot was discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson's men, who mined Soldiers Gulch in 1849. By 1853 the flats and gulches swarmed with men who named them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in 1855, brought thousands of fortune seekers to form a town of 17 hotels, a library, a theater, and courts of quick justice. During the Civil War, Volcano's gold served the Union - Volcano Blues smuggled the cannon 'Old Abe' in by hearse to quell rebels.
Main and Consolation Sts, Volcano