NO. 316 PRESIDIO OF SONOMA (SONOMA BARRACKS) - Sonoma Barracks was erected in 1836 by General M. G. Vallejo. It became the headquarters of the Bear Flag Party, which in June 1846 proclaimed a 'California Republic' and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma's Plaza. Twenty-three days later, on July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat took possession of California for the United States government. Stevenson's Regiment, Company C, U.S.A., occupied the barracks in April 1847.
West Spain Street and First Street East
One $2 admission fee covers the following sites in the Sonoma State Historic Park: Mission San Francisco Solano de Sonoma, the Sonoma Barracks, the Toscano Hotel, Vallejo's Estate and Vallejo’s Petaluma Adobe.