Previous Next

CHL No. 328 Long Wharf Site - San Francisco


NO. 328 LONG WHARF - In the spring of 1848, the old Central or Long Wharf was built 'from the bank in the middle of the block between Sacramento and Clay Streets, where Leidesdorff Street now is, 800 feet into the Bay.' After 1850 it was extended 2,000 feet and the Pacific mail steamers and other large vessels anchored there. Central or Long Wharf is now Commercial Street.


Intersection of Leidesdorff and Commercial Sts, San Francisco
Open Map