NO. 398 YANKEE JIM'S - Gold was discovered here in 1850 by 'Yankee Jim,' a reputed lawless character, and by 1857 the town was one of the most important in Placer County. The first mining ditch in the county was constructed here by H. Starr and Eugene Phelps. Colonel William McClure introduced hydraulic mining to this area in June of 1853.
SE corner of Springs Garden Rd. and Yankee Jim's Rd., 3.0 mi NE of Forest Hill