NO. 419 JACKSONVILLE - Near this site stood the historic town of Jacksonville, now inundated by the waters of Don Pedro Reservoir. The town was settled by Julian Smart, who planted the first garden and orchard in the spring of 1849, and named for Colonel A. M. Jackson. In 1850 it was the principal river town in the area and the center for thousands of miners working the rich bed of the Tuolumne River.
Vista point at N approach to Don Pedro Bridge, State Hwy 120 (P.M. 19.4), 3.5 mi SE of Chinese Camp
There is a nice big turnout to park and take pictures.
NO. 419 JACKSONVILLE - Marker