NO. 430 FORT BIDWELL - Fort Bidwell, named for John Bidwell, was established in 1865. The fort, which operated until 1893, was one of the last early military posts north of Benicia to be abandoned. From 1898 to 1930, the fort served as a non-reservation boarding school for Indians.
West End of Bridge Street
We had the good fortune to meet some Paiute Tribal Elders. Patricia Garcia pointed out some of the remains of Fort Bidwell, like the old hospital, the officers' quarters and the old parade grounds. Patricia Garcia was one of the last babies to be born at the old hospital over 80 years ago. She was also present when the California Historical Landmark Plaque was installed. She described the elaborate celebration. Another tribal elder recalled playing on the marker when she was a child. She proudly told us that in subsequent years, local Paiute tribesmen had actively worked to remove visible signs of the fort...including the landmark plaque. The Fort Bidwell Indian Community Center now stands where the plaque was located.