NO. 446 GROVELAND - Formerly called 'First Garrote' because of the hanging of a Mexican for stealing a horse, Groveland was built in 1849 as shown by dated adobe brick taken from a partition, adobe buildings were still standing in 1949. Gold was discovered here in 1849, and thousands of dollars in placer gold were taken from mines on Garrote Creek, Big Creek, and other diggings.
On NE corner of Main (State Hwy 120) and Back Sts, Groveland
The plaque is next to the "Iron Door General Store": 18752 Main St, Groveland, CA 95321
NO. 446 GROVELAND - Marker