NO. 486 EL DORADO (ORIGINALLY MUD SPRINGS) - El Dorado, 'The Gilded One,' was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place. Originally an important camp on the old Carson Emigrant Trail, by 1849-50 it had become the center of a mining district and the crossroads for freight and stage lines. At the height of the rush its large gold production supported a population of several thousand.
6191 Pleasant Valley Road, El Dorado
CHL No. 486 El Dorado (Originally Mud Springs) Marker