NO. 488 FRESNO CITY - 'Fresno City' gradually arose at the head of navigation of the Fresno Slough, and existed from approximately 1855 to 1875 - today there are no traces of it left. In 1872, the 'City of Fresno,' later the county seat, was established about 30 miles to the southwest, on the newly built Central Pacific Railroad.
On Fresno Slough, 0.8 mi N of James Rd, from Tranquility, then 1.3 mi NW on levee rd (dirt), Tranquillity
Update July 26, 2017 ~~~~ The plaque is missing, but the original stone marker is still standing on West Whitesbridge Road (Hwy 180). It is 0.4 miles west of South James Road, Kerman, California. ~~~~~~~~ This has been confirmed by the Fresno Historical Society.