NO. 555 LOCKHART FERRY - Established by Samuel Lockhart in 1856 as a link in the first wagon road from Yreka to Red Bluff, the Lockhart Ferry crossed below the confluence of the Fall and Pit Rivers near this spot. After a massacre in December 1856, the ferry was reestablished in 1857 below Fall River Falls.
On the North side of State Hwy 299 (P.M. 91.3), NW of Long St, 0.3 mi W of Fall River Mills
We met the owner of the property, Will Snyder, who is in the process of writing a book about Samuel Lockhart. He was kind enough to give us a history of the area. He revealed a quite unsavory side of Samuel Lockhart. For more information, Mr. Snyder can be reached at WillSnyder@gmail.com.