NO. 591 SUTTER'S LANDING - Captain John A. Sutter, after coming up the Sacramento River from Yerba Buena in August 1839, landed approximately two hundred feet north of here, at what was then the south bank of the American River. A short time thereafter he established a permanent camp, and later built his fort. Sutter and his men were the first non-Indian settlers within the present city limits of Sacramento.
NW corner of 28th and C Sts, in Stanford Park, Sacramento