NO. 233 MISSION NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA SOLEDAD - This mission, founded October 9,1791 by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén, ministered to the Indians of the Salinas Valley. Governor José Joaquín de Arrillaga died here July 24, 1814 and was buried in the chapel. Prosperous in its early years, Soledad declined after 1825, but Father Vicente Francisco Sarría stayed on in poverty to serve the Indians until his death in 1835, when the mission was secularized. It was regranted to the Bishop of Monterey in 1859. In ruins after 1874, the chapel was reconstructed and dedicated under the auspices of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, October 1955.
Fort Romie Rd (Co Rd G-17), 2.5 mi S of Soledad; exist Hwy 101 W on Arroyo Seco Ed, right on Fort Romie Rd, follow signs
The state plaque is located in front of the mission on Fort Romie Road. It is under the El Camino Real Bell.