NO. 538 FIRST PUBLICLY OWNED SCHOOL BUILDING - The first public schoolhouse in this county, the Mason Street School-District No. 1, was erected at this site in 1865, when San Diego County covered an area larger than three New England states. It was restored by popular subscription in 1955.
3966 Mason Street, San Diego
The state marker is behind the school building.