NO. 582 WELL, HILL 4 - This well, spudded September 26, 1905, and completed April 30, 1906, is the first oil well in which a water shutoff was attained by pumping cement through the tubing and back of the casing-forerunner of the modern cementing technique. It was drilled to a depth of 2,507 feet by Union Oil Company of California, 1,872 feet of 10-inch casing and 2,237 feet of 8-inch casing were so securely cemented off that the well produced for over forty-five years.
Mission Hills District, Plaque Is 1.6 Miles North of Union Oil Company Production Office (Off Rucker Road Five Miles Northeast of Lompoc)
The facility is gated, but we followed a truck through the gates.