NO. 698 FIFTEEN MILE HOUSE-OVERLAND PONY EXPRESS ROUTE IN CALIFORNIA - Owned and operated from 1857 as a stage station by Henry F. W. Deterding, this was the site of the second remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express during March-July 1860. Sam (Bill) Hamilton, carrying the first eastward mail of the Pony Express, changed ponies here on April 4, 1860.
SE corner of White Rock Road and Gold Valley Drive, Rancho Cordova
"WANTED Young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders, willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred. Wages $25 a week"