NO. 699 MORMON TAVERN-OVERLAND PONY EXPRESS ROUTE IN CALIFORNIA - At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and on April 4, 1860, pony rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton changed horses here on the first eastbound trip.
It is very near "1270 Joerger Cut Off Rd El Dorado Hills, CA 95762". From State Hwy 50 take El Dorado (Latrobe Rd) South. Turn left on White Rock Road. Head east on White Rock and stay on this street as it veers north. Turn left onto Joeger Cut Off Road. (It appears to be a service road.) It is about .25 mi on the north side of Joeger.
At first we thought the plaque was missing, but it is on the side facing the Highway not the roadside.