NO. 892 HARVEY HOUSE - In 1893 Fred Harvey, founder and operator of the Santa Fe Harvey Houses, took over the operation of all hotel and restaurants on the Santa Fe line, including the one at Barstow (then Waterman Junction) constructed in 1885. In 1908 this Harvey House burned, and in 1910-13 the present Spanish-Moorish structure designed by architect Mary E. J. Coulter was constructed. It is the best surviving example of California's depot-hotels of the turn of the century.
681 North First Avenue. Barstow, CA 9231. (SW corner of First Ave and Riverside Dr)
The state plaque is in front of the Harvey House on the south side.