NO. 951 BATTERY POINT LIGHTHOUSE - The Battery Point Lighthouse is one of the first lighthouses on the California coast. Rugged mountains and unbridged rivers meant coastal travel was essential for the economic survival of this region. In 1855 Congress appropriated $15,000 for the construction of the light station, which was completed in 1856 by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. Theophilis Magruder was the station's first keeper; Wayne Philand was its last before automation in 1953.
Battery Pt Island, end of A St, Crescent City