NO. 210 OLDEST HOUSE NORTH OF SAN FRANCISCO BAY - This house was built in 1776 by the father of Camillo Ynitia or Unitia, the last chief of the Olompali Indians. The Indians were taught to make adobe bricks by Lieutenant Bodega and his party while they were surveying and charting the harbor of San Francisco Bay. The old adobe house is inside the house now on the site. (Burned in 1976.)
Olompali State Historic Park, 8901 Redwood Hwy, State Hwy 101 (P.M. 24.8), 3.5 mi N of Novato
OHP Update: Reportedly built as a one room adobe in 1776 with the assistance of Lieutenant Bodega’s survey party under the King of Spain, further research indicates a more likely two part construction beginning in 1834. The updated nomination renames the landmark the Camilo Ynitia Adobe in recognition of the only U.S. land grant owned and maintained by a Native American in Alta California. ---------------------------- "Between 1943 and 1977, the property was sold many times. The University of San Francisco used the ranch as a retreat for its Jesuit priests. One famous tenant, the Grateful Dead rock band, lived here in 1966. The back cover of their 1969 album Aoxomoxoa features the rancho’s oak-covered hillsides. Janis Joplin, Grace Slick and other 1960s rock musicians also gathered at Rancho Olompali."