NO. 63 PLAZA, SAN DIEGO VIEJO (WASHINGTON SQUARE) - This plaza was established as the center of the Mexican Pueblo of San Diego which elected its first ajuntamiento in 1834. On July 29, 1846, at 4 p.m., Lieutenant Stephen C. Rowan, U.S.N., from the U.S. sloop-of-war Cyane, raised the American flag over the plaza.
Old Town Plaza (Washington Square), Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
A private marker is located on a big rock in the lawn.